- Have you the gift of imparting knowledge to others?
- Does helping those new to our country to adjust to our culture excite you?
- Would you be enthusiastic about teaching newcomers to speak English?
If so, The Hispanic Ministry of St. Laurence Parish can help you fulfill your goals through our ESL (English as a Second Language) program. We invite you to come and share your gifts with us. We need you as a teacher in our ESL program. Seasoned volunteers have designed sessions of teacher training to assist you in instruction. These sessions will accent teaching techniques, explain the use of the manuals and texts, and display charts and other materials to enhance teaching. Call Sister Dominica at 610-306-7370 to volunteer to enhance the life of our immigrant community.
TUTOR TRAININGS FOR NEW TUTORS
If you know anyone who would like to become a Volunteer Tutor, have them contact Melina at 610-876-4811 or visit www.delcoliteracy.org. Training also includes a follow-up session for a total of 12 hours. Tutoring requires bachelor's degree, application, criminal background check, and media consent form.
- ABE Training for New Tutors: September 13 and 20, 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., plus follow-up session.
- ESL Training for New Tutors: September 13, 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.; September 15 and 17, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., plus follow-up session.
- ABE Training for New Tutors: November 8 and 15, 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., plus follow-up session.
- ESL Training for New Tutors: November 8, 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.; November 10 and 12, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., plus follow-up session.
The Welcoming Center for New Pennsylvanians
- As a Volunteer Instructor, You Will....
- Work with adults in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) and/or GED classes.
- Be in a friendly, small-group setting in an easily accessible Center City office.
- Work closely with experienced teachers, using curriculum materials to meet students' individual listening, speaking, reading, math, and writing needs.
The Qualifications You'll Need to Succeed:
- Ability to serve as an instructor for 6-9 hours a week for 10 weeks
- Strong desire to improve the English language skills of students
- Sensitivity to cultural differences
- Flexibility in schedule
- Ability to meet challenges with enthusiasm.
- Fluency in English
Call Jesse James at 215-825-7760 for more information. Ready to apply? Submit your resume and a brief cover letter explaining why you are interested in this volunteer position to Jesse James at firstname.lastname@example.org